The Bulkley Valley Cross Country Ski Club has excellent nordic and biathlon facilities built with decades of volunteer labour and generous sponsors. Few cross country ski facilities compare with our lovely lodge, excellent trail system and grooming program. We are also consistently blessed with excellent snowfall, usually from mid-November to mid April.
Our club also plays a significant role in the recreational and social life of Smithers, Telkwa and the surrounding Bulkley Valley.The Bulkley Valley Nordic Centre hosts and participates in a variety of events throughout the long ski season, catering to skiers of all ages and abilities. We strive to provide events that are well-organized, safe, friendly and inclusive.
The lineup of events can include:
- Local Nordic races
- Biathlon races, up to the Provincial level
- Fun days for kids
- Elementary School races
- Ski Swap, Potlucks, and other get-togethers
- A Ski Marathon
The Nordic Centre hosted several national-level races:
- The 1999 Junior National Championships (225 skiers from across Canada)
- The Canada Games Trial in December 2006
- The Western Canadian Championships in February 2007